Saturday, April 24, 2010

Chapter 13, Question 3

I particularly took to the section on analogies. “The use of an analogy is a comparison between things that are similar in some respects but quite different in others, helps open our perceptions to other useful concepts.” (Pg 192)

I use analogies all the time when I am trying to describe something to someone. I use them a lot in arguments in order to solidify a meaning for someone who may not understand what point I’m trying to make.

For instance I might say something like, “Telling me no to argue is like telling a fish not to swim, it just isn’t going to happen.”

Although not the greatest analogy, it usually simplifies a statement I was trying t make that the receiver may not have fully understood. I find this an extremely useful tool to use in arguments. It changes the receiver’s state of mind In a way that they might now accept your point rather than trying to fight it.

1 comment:

  1. Jrod,

    I really liked your analogy that you used in your example about the fish because it really got your point across – I think I just may have to steal it from you :). I agree that analogies are an interesting concept that is used in the English language and it can help you to gain a better understanding of something that is being said through comparison of something else. The reason why I point out the English language is because I don’t think analogies are a concept used in other languages (I could be totally wrong) but I believe that is why they say that the English language is one of the hardest to learn. Personally, I like the use of analogies but have a hard time using them in everyday conversation. Perhaps it has to do with my lack of creativity and if you think about it, there is some level of creativity that is needed to form an original analogy.

    ReplyDelete