Saturday, May 1, 2010

week 14, question 3

I particularly took to the section on “Expert Power”. I find it funny how people will submit or relinquish power to someone who has more knowledge on a subject. It’s almost an innate ability that we have as humans as natural followers. “Expert power is generated by having a particular ability or access to particular information that is valued. “ (pg 239)

For instance, with my friends, when it comes to politics they almost always concede the power of the group immediately to me. I could literally make something up and they will believe it. It really amazes me how we trust others who claim to be experts on a particular subject. When it comes to making decisions most people want to be right. SO when push comes to shove most groups will concede to the person with the vastest knowledge in the particular subject being dealt with. Just another interesting part of the group dynamic.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agreed that Expert Power is valued when it comes to having influence over others. My manager is very smart and carries herself well with confidence. Besides graduating from Berkeley and being in her position for 5 years; she has awards to demonstrate her significance in the company. Whenever I have a question, she is the first person I turn to for answers or advice and I take her advice with the utmost conviction. I think the main reason I trust her is because she has gained the experience to learn what I am currently training for. I would like to eventually work my way up to being a manager after I obtain my degree next semester; however, following in her footsteps will ultimately not only benefit me personally but also professionally because it’s who you know and who will recommend you. Employers always look at references on a resume as well as achievement, so I try to consider everything she says and take it with a positive outlook.

    ReplyDelete